Left 4 Dead 2 DLC ‘The Passing’ releases this week, free on PC! If it’s free it’s for me!
Byte Sized News Stories
- X-Com was announced in a previous news post, being revived by 2K Marin. Two independent developers have taken the opportunity to uncloak their games, made in the vein of the original strategy classic, X-Com. Goldhawk Interactive, makers of Xenonauts and Chaos Concept, makers of UFO2 Extraterrestrials : Shadows Over Earth will be releasing their titles Q4 2010. We will be seeing much more on these games, stay tuned here and on my X-Com blog here.
- More good news for Retro fans, Might and Delight Studios has been formed by the former GRIN team, responsible for Bionic Commando : Rearmed. Let’s not forget that BC:R was the retro remake, not the next-gen continuation of the BC saga. The studio also handled Wated:Weapons of Fate, Bionic Commando and Terminator:Salvation. Would it be wrong of me to state that they are wise to go with their strengths? They were quoted as saying :
“Our ambition is to continue doing what we started with Rearmed. Small, fresh games with strong old school flavor.”
- Crytek CEO, Cevat Yerli, is not making any friends with his current statements. The father of the nanosuit has said that free game demos are an “antiquated luxury” and have become “prohibitively expensive to produce”. He went on to say that paid demos may be the wave of the future, a wave EA surprising embraced and has talked about as “pre-release DLC”. Yerli seems to think this would be “fair for the gamer” while the company would recoup it’s production cost for the demo. Thankfully, it does not seem the Crysis 2 will be the horseman of this apocolypse, as Crytek has yet to decide if a demo will be available. His one positive statement was to say that should paid demos become the norm, his feeling is that it should contain considerably more material than what is currently offered.
- Week 2 of the Direct2Drive Spring Sale has begun! Highlights are Star Wars Force Unleashed Sith Edition for $14.95, Infernal Uncensored Edition for $7.95, Grand Theft Auto IV, Medievil 2:Total War or Supreme Commander Gold for $7.50 each, ArmA II for $24.95, and Manhunt 2 or Knights Of The Old Republic for $4.95 each
- Equally tempting is a sale of unknown length on Steam, with Trine available for 75% off. The game will cost $5.00, and includes the new ‘Path To New Dawn’ level, unlocked if you complete the game.
My apologies, I have been all over tons of things I am working on for the site, and I was not able to find anything for this section this week. Please, send your entries to ‘email@example.com, with ‘Geared Up’ in the subject heading if you have seen anything or made anything that you would like to see featured in this section. Thanks!