EDG Podcast Special â€“ The Witcher 2 Developer Interview
We were very lucky to be joined for Tomasz Gop, Senior Producer at CD Projekt RED, developer of the upcoming Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings.Â It was great to sit, one on one, and get some great information about the upcoming game, due out My 17th, 2011.Â Mr. Gop offered some great insight and clarity about more than just what to expect in the upcoming title, but also about inspiration for the new features, the development process and even his own gaming tastes and preferences. Here is a simple checklist of some of the features discussed :
- The Witcher 2 features an entirely new engine, built from the ground up, by the development team
- Save games, from the first game, will be allowed to be imported.Â Some items, and/or money will carry over, as well as many of the decisions made, with regards to returning characters.
- A branching storyline, affected by imported decisions and decisions made in the game.Â Geralt takes a deep look at who he was, before the amnesia, and, through the player’s actions, will decide who he will choose to be from here on.
- “Black and White” story choices and “fetch quests” have been somewhat frowned upon, and the game will try to offer an expansive story without using those elements.
- Feedback from the “mature” content and card system of the first game have been changed to still include relationships, but make them more interwoven with the story and character choices-almost more intimate(no pun intended) and meaningful.
All in all, The Witcher 2 : Assassins of Kings is shaping up to be a great hit, for 2011, especially with the blossoming of all of the heights that CD Projekt plans to take the game to.Â Â We very much appreciated the chance to discuss the game, and can’t wait to see it’s final release!
If you are interested in seeing the Developer Diaries, or more information on the game, check out the homepage, here.
***The music used in the podcast is The Witcher Theme, which can be found on the game’s original soundtrack, and can be purchased on it’s own or found with The Witcher Enhanced Edition.***