Today we’ll be looking at Manga Maker ComiPo! I find this software to be rather refreshing, and it’s been a lot of fun to review! Manga Maker ComiPo! is made by RPG Maker. Yes, the same company that made RPG Maker VX Ace. Manga Maker ComiPo! is new to Steam, but it’s not exactly new. It’s been out for a few years prior to launching on Steam.
30 Second Review
+ Create your own manga, even if you lack the ability to draw.
+ Simple and easy to use interface.
+ You’ll be able to create manga right away without having to spend hours to learn how to use the software.
– DLC is pretty much clothing skins.
– If you don’t buy any of the DLC, you’re only going to have 4 outfit skins to choose from.
Included in the Steam Version of Manga Maker ComiPo!
Here is a brief overview of the various tools you will have at your disposal to use in Manga Maker ComiPo! I hope that anyone that is unsure about whether or not to purchase this Software will be able to make a clear and easy decision after understanding what is exactly in it or in some cases what is missing. I definitely think the intended use of this product has been misunderstood by many people.
- 3D Characters: You will be given 4 base models to choose from. Now these base models can be altered, crafted, and changed from a multitude of options in categories ranging from hair, eye, face, accessories, and clothing. There are only 4 clothing skins, but you can alter them with multiple color options. The clothing will feel like the most limited option within this feature. You will also be able to pose your character, change their facial expression, and create action sequences.
- 3D Items: There are only 15 3D items included in the standard purchase, but since you can import images from elsewhere, you are only limited by your imagination. If you’re like me and are unable to draw, this limitation may pose a problem. Thankfully, there is an easy solution to this problem, as the internet provides plenty of items that you can import into your comics.
- Balloons: These are the text bubbles you will use to bring your manga to life. There are various shapes and sizes you can use, and all of the balloons can easily be adjusted. Also add text without it being in a balloon and just place it directly on the manga image itself.
- Background Images: There’s a plethora of background images to choose from, ranging from locations to backgrounds that will help convey an emotion or mood. You can also import any background that you would like to add into the software. Once again, you are only limited by your imagination. When you purchase the base product, you’re really only given enough to have a good school or office theme. Since you have the ability to import any background of your choosing, you will be able to do so much more! Be creative: use the internet and import!
- Item Imager: There are also items that can be placed anywhere on the comic panel. You can even replace a background with an item if you choose to do so. Utilize your items. It’s that little extra attention to detail that will really make your artwork pop and come to life.
- Also Included: Comic marks, sound effects, effect lines…. All of these will be used to help convey the emotion or set the tone for your reader. For an example, watch a rerun of the Batman TV show which stared Adam West; you will see BAM, POP, POW, and other effects pop up on the screen as they are fighting. That’s exactly how you will use these effects. There is so much you can do with this program that this review could go on and on. Hopefully I have covered enough of the features that you can decide if it is something you would be interested in purchasing.
I would classify this software as hobbyist. Basically, you are going to use this product to create entertainment for yourself and for your friends. I created the comics for this review without the benefit of having any prior experience using Manga Maker ComiPo! It’s an easy program to learn.
The product has DLC , but it’s just clothing skins for the most part. However, if you want to dress your characters up in something more then school uniforms you’ll need to at least buy the Casual Wear DLC. It will add 24 unique outfits. It gives you the broadest options of the DLC’s that are available. Also it’s $5.00 USD cheaper then the other DLC’s. In my opinion, it is the most versatile of what’s available, so how could you go wrong?
I was talking to other people who purchased this software about what their plans for it were. Kelly R. Martin, author of The Lucky Cricket Tales from the Reading Dragon Inn Book 1, is taking characters and lines from his book and using Manga Maker ComiPo! as a story boarding tool to generate buzz. A few friends are toying with using this in their podcast title shots, which I thought would be a creative use for Manga Maker ComiPo! It does have real world applications beyond just being used as a hobby. Really the sky is the limit with this software. It is only hindered by your own imagination!
I’ve spent over 85 hours using Manga Maker ComiPo! in less then a week. I never had to go to the help menu. I didn’t watch a tutorial on YouTube. I just sat down and started creating comics. It is that user friendly and that easy. It is rare to find a product that doesn’t create migraines when you first start using it. Many programs demand you spend several hours to learn how to use the product before you’re actually able to do what you hoped to do with it in the first place. I recommend purchasing Manga Maker ComiPo! on this fact alone.
Manga Maker ComiPo! scores 9 out of 10!