Review: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
Captain Toad has arrived in his own adventure, and it’s about time. Explore the Mushroom Kingdom as you search for treasure, gems, secrets, and stars in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. SomeÂ very interesting mechanics have been developed for this game thatÂ make it feel refreshing and unique.
30 Second Review
+ A new unique gameplay perspective brought to 3D level design
+ The game is beautiful and vibrant
+ Bonus content just for owning Super Mario 3D World
– Requires the Toad amiibo to unlock the Hide & Go Seek challenge
– Some of the Wii U GamePad controls feel gimmicky
- Equipped with nothing more than a neck scarf, backpack and oversized head lamp, Captain Toad finds hidden gems, coins and power-ups on his way to the gold star at the end of each tricky, trap-filled stage.
- Captain Toad isn’t particularly fast or strong. He can’t jump and has no super powers, but he knows that sometimes, it’s all about wits and perspective.
- ManeuverÂ the camera to reveal hidden locations and other secrets. The Wii U GamePadÂ offers a closer view of the dangers and hidden items in each maze, and its gyro controls can also be used to peer around.
- Captain Toad’s world is brimming with life, dangerous enemies, tricky platforms, nasty traps and secrets to uncover. Each stage is its own puzzle to solve, and littered throughout are hidden items in hard-to-reach places. Can you help our tiny adventurer survive to find them all?
Are you ready for an adventure?
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is very gorgeous and stunning to look at–absolutely gamer eye candy. The 3D environments really bring this game to life. Explore the map not just by walking across it, but also turning your viewing angle to reveal hidden corridors, objects, and secrets. You are also able to zoom the view in and out as needed, whichÂ can be particularly handy when trying to toss turnips at your enemies.
You’ll have access to many items that are memorable from other Nintendo titles such as:
- Coins – Every 100 gives you an extra life
- Super Mushroom – Can return Toad to normal size if shrunk
- 1-Up Mushroom – Extra life
- Double Cherry – Collecting one creates a copy of Toad
- Super Pickaxe – For a limited time you can use itÂ to defeat enemies and break special blocks
- Pluck Patch – Pick these up to reveal various items
- Turnip – Toss turnips at enemies to defeat them
- Red POW Block – Â Hit one to defeat nearby enemies and break blocks
- Spinwheel – Using the Wii U gamepadÂ to interact with these objects to change the terrain
- Pull Switch / P Switch – Pull on a Pull Switch or step on a P Switch to change the terrain of the course
For owners of Super Mario 3D World,Â you’ll have access to several bonus maps that you can play for free from that game using Captain Toad. ThisÂ cross promotional concept is very interesting, since the Captain Toad mini games were first introduced in Super Mario 3D World.
The Toad amiibo effect…
The Hide & Go Seek challenge is locked behind Toad’s amiibo. I would like to try this mode, but when checking the amiibo compatibility chart, it’s revealed that Toad is the least utilized. At present he is only utilized in three titles: Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Hyrule Warriors, and Mario Party 10. The average for any amiibo looks to be six games–something you’ll want to take into consideration before buying Toad. Hopefully, he’ll become functional in more games in the future.
All other amiibo have a function supported in Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. By pressing it to the Wii U GamePadÂ you can unlock additional 1-Ups daily. It kind of feels generic, but at least it’s better than nothing.
I really enjoy using the Wii U GamePad, but when it comes to Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker it feels a little gimmicky. Using the stylusÂ to interfere with enemies by freezing them in place can take you out of the immersive experience. You can also move objects and reveal hidden secrets by using the stylus. However, turning on Captain Toad’s headlamp will also reveal hidden objects and stun some enemies without having to use the stylus.
Reach for the Gold Star
I honestly feel Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker is a great game. It has a reduced price at $39.99, and if you already own Super Mario 3D World, then you’ll get double the content for theÂ same price. If you do not own Super Mario 3D World, then I would buy itÂ first. It has several Captain Toad levels, and if you like what you play of it, then you’ll be able to confidently purchase Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.